METIS SETTLEMENTS GENERAL COUNCIL CONTRACT POSTING ADDICTION AND MENTAL HEALTH NAVIGATOR Date Posted: February 4,2019 Closing Date: February 15, 2019 Rate of Pay: $50,000 – $60,000 pending on education and experience Term of Employment: March 1’2019 – December 31’2019 Reports To: MSHB COORDINATOR /MSGC Executive Portfolio holder
Position: Summary: This grant funded contract position is for a period of 10 months (March 2019 to December 2019)
With direction from the Health Board Coordinator, this position will support the Settlements and the Metis Settlements Health Board in their efforts to implement Drug and Alcohol Awareness, Prevention and Support Initiatives, in collaboration with the Prevention & Education Coordinators Drugs and Alcohol.
Responsibilities and Activities: Establishment of culturally appropriate prevention and intervention programming aimed at reducing and preventing Drug and Alcohol use within the Metis Settlements.
- Address lack of information and service gaps to improve access to services
- Facilitate collaborative service planning and linkage and referral facilitation for any individual, family who requests assistance with mental health or substance concerns
- Serve as an information resource for community and/or service providers
- Gather relevant data on local service needs to inform future service planning for the 8 Metis Settlements, integrate services with Alberta Health Services and other providers
- Assist the Settlements on awareness campaigns with goal of reducing stigma as it relates to Mental health and addictions.
- Identification of pre-existing barriers for membership to access services
- On-going assessment of service gaps and potential barriers
- Improved communication between Settlements and service providers
- Settlement members will be informed of external services providing services as it relates to Mental health and addiction
- Establishment of partnership with various stakeholders
- Completion of resource information for each settlement. This project will integrate with the work occurring under the 211 phone and data base expansion project, and further integration where
possible with Valuing Mental Health Action 14; proposed model of integrated digital navigation (including service information and referral).
- brief intervention (including crisis supports and providing, arranging, follow-up supports as necessary.)
- Facilitation of group sessions as it relates to mental health and addictions
- Organize and assist with facilitation of National Addictions Awareness Week
- Assist with setting up of supports in prevention, intervention, pre-treatment, treatment, aftercare/follow up and post treatment counselling.
Education and Knowledge:
- Accreditation in an addictions/mental health field
- A minimum of 2 years experience working with Indigenous communities
- Knowledge of the Metis Settlements of Alberta and Metis Settlements General Council
- Knowledge of the Metis Settlements Health Board
Skills: • Proficiency in the use of Microsoft suite
- Some knowledge or experience on data collection
- Ability to develop, lead and work within a multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly convey ideas when public speaking or doing presentation
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships with various stakeholders and staff
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Be comfortable reaching out to community members within their own homes.
- Monthly Report writing and brief submissions within stipulated timeframes
- Self motivated and ability to work independently as well as team environment.
- Must possess an Alberta Class 5 Drivers License, reliable vehicle and business insurance
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as required
- Extensive travel (8 Metis Settlements)
- Must be willing to take drug and alcohol test
Please submit your cover letter, resume and references (2 min.) to: Brenda Sayers Director of Corporate Affairs Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 780-489-9558
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.